Sunday, February 04, 2007

Everything old is new again...this old Newt

So for nostalgia sake, I dug up my Newton 2000 and got it to sync with my MacBook Pro. It used to sync with my Powerbook without issues via a USB-serial adapter.

For some reason my MBP wouldn't recognize the adapter...I couldn't remember if it needed a special driver. I dug out the mini CD (why do they distribute software like this) and had to stick it in an old skool CD drive because the slot-loading SuperDrives don't do the mini CDs. Of course the drivers were not Universal Binaries. Luckily I found the USB-serial adapter manufacturer website and they had an updated Universal Binary driver. I downloaded it, installed it, rebooted and all was good.

I've no idea why I have these periodic moments of nostalgia, especially with my Newton. I can think of many reasons not to even waste the effort on using it, nevermind getting it to sync with my Mac, getting it access the internet, or getting it hooked up with Wi-Fi. But then, does Apple have a tablet (ModBook excepted), a PDA (wait, that would be the Newton), or any other portable, pen-based device? It's probably a reason why I'm pretty excited about the iPhone...mainly because I know that in a couple of hours, I'll put the Newton back in the drawer and won't see it for another 8 weeks again.

In a previous post I mentioned that my Palm had been resurrected from the dead and is now undead. But it's still not what I'm looking for, mainly due to the limitations Graffiti.

So why the iPhone, especially since it's not pen-based, is more of an entertainment device than a proper office tool? Probably because Microsoft products remind me of work, and having a personal device with Windows just reminds me more of work.

No comments: