Friday, April 13, 2007

Extreme Makeover: Camera Edition

I just went through and am about to go through a massive camera switch.

My previous camera line-up:

  • Canon EOS 10D

  • Hasselblad 500CM

  • Pentax 6x7



My camera line-up as soon as I receive my newest acquisition and sell one of my current cameras:

  • Canon EOS 20D

  • Mamiya RB67



I'm dire need of a DSLR which is lighter. The difference in weight between the 10D and 20D is HUGE! The boost in resolution is huge. I was tempted to go with the 30D but one of my colleagues indicated that the high ISO images from the 30D were noisier than in the 20D. I don't know if I would take advantage of Picture Styles in the 30D, but the larger LCD panel on the camera back would be a big help, but I'm comfortable with the LCD panel in the 10D which is the same as the 20D.

I went the eBay route for this camera purchase since I had sold a lot of stuff on eBay and had enough in my PayPal war chest to pay for a 20D.

I got rid of the Hasselblad because I've had the camera for over 2 years and hadn't used it because I couldn't afford a lens for it. I bought the Mamiya RB67 because I got a good deal on it, but it's a HEAVY beast of a camera. It's going to be tough to hand-hold.

The 20D, as mentioned, will be SO much lighter than the 10D so I'll be happy about that.

In the meantime, I've been getting acquainted with the ins and outs of selling stuff on eBay...it's been quite the interesting experience and I've been learning a lot about some of the best practices when it comes to selling on eBay. The tough part has been figuring out how to charge for shipping, guess the weight of the item (I don't have a scale), and the dimensions of the box that will be holding the item during shipping -- all important things that get factored into how much shipping will cost.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about getting the 20D, but I'm also hoping to get a good deal selling my 10D.

No comments: