Sunday, March 11, 2007

Thinking about a second job...

Editor's Note: Parts of this post have been corrected based on comments from the photographer mentioned here. I've also added any supplementary opinions that have change based on those comments.

So someone in the family had booked a photographer to take some photos of the family (my wife and in-laws, nephews, nieces, etc.). We had to chip in for the $100 sitting fee which was no big deal. So we arrived in the atrium of the hotel where we were staying to meet the photographer.

UPDATE: The sitting fee was actually $25. There wa a travel fee of $50 (because the photographer drove a decent distance to get to the hotel), plus she was given another $25.

The photographer arrived. She was a younger woman, and she was carrying a small SLR case, basically enough to carry the SLR itself with plenty of padding and not much else. Off her shoulder was the strap to her camera, a Canon Rebel XTi, which is your garden-variety, entry-level, digital SLR, with a Canon Speedlite attached on the camera hotshoe. At that point I thought it was peculiar that a photographer that we were paying (in my book, if you make money being a photographer, whether it's part-time or full-time, you're considered a "professional"), had an entry-level camera.

I'm admittedly a bit of a camera snob. I judge people by the type of camera and brand of camera they use, especially people who are working photographers. I would think that someone we're paying $100 sitting fee would have a better camera. It would be the equivalent of getting your hair cut by someone using a pair of safety scissors. Mind you, a camera is just a tool and the photographer is the person using the tool to create a photograph. The photographer still determines lighting, composition, and the creation of the final product. So even if this person showed up with an old Canon AE-1, I would still hold my opinion in check until I could see how they worked. So that's what I did.

Ed. Note: I'm going to re-state that I AM A CAMERA SNOB. A photographer's equipment is not indicative of their skill. I would think in fact if they could produce great results with lesser equipment, they're probably a better photographer to be able to manage their limitations of lesser equipment. Be that as it may, I wouldn't hire a limousine driver if their fleet consisted of pick-up trucks. Note that I *did* say in the original post that "...even if this person showed up with an old Canon AE-1, I would still hold my opinion in check...".

So she began with a big group shot with all of us by a small tree in the atrium. Now, in my experience, posing by a small tree, or trees in general for that matter, have rarely led to the best results unless all the tree branches are covered by an abundance of leaves. The reason being, you have these branches that stick out, and in the resulting photograph you often have branches that appear to be sticking out of the people's heads. And in this photo, that's exactly what happened. My other concern was that even though there was a lot of natural light coming through the glass roof of the atrium, that typically results in shadows in the eyes. To counter that, you would use a flash to "fill in" those shadows (thus the type of lighting is called "fill flash") and create a nice catch light in the subject's eyes. Well, that didn't happen with our pictures because the photographer didn't use the flash she had mounted on her camera.

UPDATE: The shot of the tree that I spoke of above was not chosen by the photographer, it was suggested by the client.

Now, as someone who has shot a couple of weddings and assisted on many as a 2nd shooter, I have quite a bit of experience with photography. I'm not trying to brag, but that experience counts for something. I wasn't going to point out to this photographer that she use a fill flash or pose away from the tree, because we're PAYING this person to take our pictures. I would EXPECT them to know things about posing, lighting and composition. UPDATE: See update above about the tree photo. Also, if I were the photographer, I wouldn't take kindly to the subject telling me how to do my job, rightly or wrongly. I thought it was a courtesy that I let her do her job and we'd see how the results would come out.

Well, we moved on after the atrium shots to some other locations inside the hotel lobby. In there, you just HAD to use a flash so those photos came out better, lighting-wise. UPDATE: She did use a flash with the photos in the lobby.

Overall, the photos didn't look "professional". Now I'm not going to show you or directly link to that photographer's website because it's not my intention to completely embarrass or slam her. Now if you were to somehow find your way to the photographer's website (linked removed at the request of the photographer), you'll see what I mean. Even to the untrained eye, the photos don't look polished, especially for $100 $25 sitting fee. Especially when I can go to Sears Portrait Studio and pay for a $15 sitting fee. They're not bad photos at all. Some are pretty good photos, but they're not consistently great photos. I just don't feel we got $100 worth of photos.

UPDATE: I really shouldn't say that I don't feel we got $100 worth of photos. I don't speak for anyone else but me. My critique and my opinion are mine and only mine. I don't speak for the other people involved in this. If they feel that they got their money's worth, then that's fine. In reality, we only paid a portion of the total fee. The photographer made the point that we were not making her job easy with cell phone calls and kids running around, and that is an acceptable argument to make. I think given the somewhat uncontrollable (from a photographer's point of view) setting we were in, and how everyone was distracted with what-not, she made an admirable effort in getting everyone together. That I will say, unfortunately, that resulted in the photos (which have since been taken down). I say that is an acceptable argument, but I don't know if it's a valid argument because it's the photographer's job to control and mitigate the environment. I think everyone did the best that they could, but she needed an assistant present to help her out.

Now this is SOLELY my opinion. I'd like to think my limited experience as a professional photographer and as a full-time student studying the photographic arts gives some weight to those opinions. I'm not some lunatic bitching about something just to bitch about something. That's not even my style. If anything, I'd say my opinion is more of a critique than anything else, and I would say that some of the points about lighting and composition would come up if anyone with professional photographic experience reviewed those photos. Also, I have no bone to pick with this photographer. There's no grudge or ulterior motive. I'm giving my opinion just like anyone else is entitled to give.

UPDATE: I'm going to say this one more time...IT'S MY OPINION. Nobody else's. I don't speak for anyone else in the family, outside the family, or anyone in-between. Do not take my opinion as the barometer for how everyone else feels about the photos. If you are still seeing this as otherwise, that's no longer my problem.

So this has led to me to do some thinking. I KNOW I could do better, so why don't I? I FEEL that I could make a worthy try at producing photos of a higher quality. It's pretty much gotten me thinking that I could do portraiture as a side-business. These days, the only things I take pictures of are my daughter, but it's kept me in practice with everything I had learned in photography school and my time as a photographer's assistant to some degree.

I've even posted some of my old photos from over 10 years ago (back in the day when the only DSLRs were over $10,000) on Flickr.

Anyway, I've been thinking about it seriously and not-so-seriously. We'll see what happens.

LAST UPDATE: My opinions and observations of the actual event have changed given the points that the photographer made in her response to my posting. I did sympathize with the situation, but that's part and parcel of that type of job, especially when you're not working in a controlled environment. Beyond that, I should add in my observations that she was a very professional person to deal with.

I should apologize for not contacting her about my concerns rather than blogging about it. I mean, if you're dissatisfied with a service or product, you would try to have the service or product corrected, right? Well, I didn't give the photographer that opportunity so that is admittedly my fault. This photographer has had happy customers, produced good work, and is doing something she enjoys, and for that she should be commended.

Okay, now that we've taken care of that...my opinion on everything else still stands. One thing that is difficult in life, regardless of what you do, is hear criticism. I've studied visual arts and photography and have gone through enough critiques to get some value of them. While my opinion may have strayed beyond a professional critique, I felt I made some valid points. I know that doesn't get me a free cup of coffee anywhere, but I'm open and honest about it. I don't try to sugar-coat things because if all you hear are good reviews, that doesn't help you develop or improve as an artist. I hope the photographer got that much out of my rant (if she decides to read this). What I didn't do successfully (or at all) was point out the things she did well, such as interacting positively with everyone, getting the kids to cooperate, not getting frustrated about the setting, and being a complete professional...so it wasn't a "fair and balanced" critique.

That's all folks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Crackberry,

I was very upset when finding out that you chose to take this to such a public manner. I did not have another way to contact you so it will have to be here.

The “sitting fee” of a $100 that you chose to keep repeating in your blog is most inaccurate. The sitting fee itself was $25, I traveled an hour to meet you and your family, which is why there was a $50 travel fee. I was given the extra $25, to reasons not known by me, but which would have been applied to any order given.

I asked details about the hotel and where we would be having the shoot. I was told I did not need to bring lights or backdrops, which I offered to bring. I did make the mistake of not checking for myself and making that decision. I did make mistakes but I don’t think that gives you the right to say what you have chosen to say.

I too did not want to do the tree shot, but it was requested by one of your family members. It was not a good location by any means, which not only made it an awful background, but awkward to place everyone. Anytime you shoot a large group of people, especially with 3 very small children, you are VERY limited to how much time you have. The hotel did not provide us with equipment for seating that was promised so much time was lost trying to figure that out. When I asked that we move downstairs it was already too late, since the children were already done. Once downstairs I found it extremely difficult to maintain anyone’s focus, I tried to work with the children as much I could to cooperate as well as work with phone calls being made.

I have a background in Interior Design in which I worked for 10 years, I have been shooting for over 15 years. I totally disagree with your idea of cameras and that reflecting the capability of a photographer. You can take some incredible photos with ANY camera. I just started this business a year ago and I am building it. I do plan to invest in a different camera soon, but that has no bearing on the work I do.

Not once did I receive a telephone call from you to discuss how unhappy you were, you just chose to disparage me instead of giving me a chance to make right any wrong you feel I committed against you and your family.

I have spoken with your in-laws, who were very kind and understanding. I offered to return the money paid since your family is spread out and I cannot offer to retake the photos. I have also asked them and I am now asking you to take the link to my website off of this blog. Your family photos have been removed and you have no reason to continue to hurt my business. The actions I have taken are not any different than what I would have done with out your negative and hurtful writings.

You are entitled to you opinion, but I think they way you chose to express them is regrettable. Again, please remove the link.

MJS

hecubus said...

I'm sorry that my comments upset you. Now knowing some additional facts, it changes my opinion somewhat about what I said.

Let me address some specific points:
1. I contradicted myself in stating that it stating you can use a camera with lesser ability and still take great pictures and my opinion on the camera you were using. You were correct in pointing that out, but I did indicate that I personally am a bit of camera snob. You can take that as you will, whether it nullifies my previous assertion of cameras or not. I don't think the camera reflects the capability of the photographer. To the casual observer, I don't think that makes much of a difference, to someone who knows something about cameras and the features and limitations of specific models of cameras, I think it's a factor in forming an opinion. I myself have a digital camera that I know has certain limitations and I've already hit those limitations. If I saw someone who had the same camera, I know what limitations that person has in using it.

2. I didn't know about the actual sitting fee, so that was ignorance on my part and that I apologize for.

3. I limited my opinion to the session in the atrium. It is admittedly a difficult environment to shoot in without strobes or more than one flash, but it is manageable and the obstacles can be mitigated.

4. You were right in point out the tree was a bad choice, but I didn't recall who's choice that was. I wasn't in that conversation so I'll just assume that it was the client's choice. That being said, I think this might be an opportunity to upgrade your website so that it's client-restricted, i.e. only clients can see all the photos pertaining to their shoot, good and bad (because they paid for them), and your portfolio only shows your best work.

5. Word of mouth marketing is part of any business. It's not any different for any other company or business. Hurting your business was not my intent. If my intent was otherwise, I think posting directly to your website would have had that affect. Also, I didn't refer to you by name, therefore, that posting will not show up in any web searches since I also didn't directly link to your website, but did so through a link proxy which obfuscates your website address. I did that with the purpose so that web search engines wouldn't translate your website address. There are only handful of people who even know about my blog, like literally...I can count them on one hand. Even if you did a Google search on my blog, it's not even showing up unless you Google the URL, so the only people who know about any links are you, me, and fewer than 5 people who aren't even in your area.

6. Length of time taking pictures doesn't matter to me. I could say that I've been driving a car for 20 years but that doesn't make me a good driver (and I am self-admittedly not a good driver). Saying that I haven't had any accidents in the past 10 years doesn't make me a good driver. It just means that I've been lucky or that there are better drivers around me that have avoided me. I've been shooting for over 15 years, that doesn't mean anything to me. It just means I sat on my butt for 11 years not doing anything about it.

7. It IS my opinion based on the facts I had in hand at the time I wrote the post, so my opinion has changed somewhat, but I stand by my other comments that haven't changed based on the facts that you've presented. If you've feel you've been slighted, insulted or are upset over my comments, I apologize that the words made you feel that way, but I can't control how they made you feel. Again, if it was my intent was to do damage to your business or reputation, then more could have been done. If you feel that you have been personally offended and slighted, then I apologize for that. I don't make personal attacks.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your comments, I truly do. I can also appreciate that this is YOUR opinion which you are entitled to. My biggest problem was the link to my website. I understand your thought that only 5 people know about it, but you underestimate your blog. The only reason I found out about your post, was because I had 14 direct hits from your blog.

I can take criticism and have taken yours to heart. I know I still have a lot to learn when it comes to business and I hope that I continue to grow.

You are right I did need an assistant and not having one hurt the entire project. I apologize for that.

I also hope that if you look at more of my work you may have a different opinion.

Again, I appreciate your opinion and insight. I definitely appreciate your re-post.